Detox teas seem to have become very popular in the past few years and have become a big business and with celebrities endorsing these companies expressing gratitude for their weight loss benefits on social media. They have seemed to become the liquid version of the waist trainers that have been highly endorsed by the Kardashians.
According to Louis J. Papa, MD, a clinical professor of medicine at the University of Rochester, "detox is a scam" he says that the body is a sophisticated system that while detox might sound good in theory, it isn't something that can be done so easily. The important thing is rather than looking for a quick fix, it is recommended to just focus on an all-round healthy diet that supports the body's natural detox process.
Buzzfeed tries to understand the hype of FitTea. Trying to see if they actually work, which got mixed results
For the people who do want to try detox teas, here are a few things that you need to know.
1) There is no such thing as a quick fix. You can't just drink the tea and expect results. Which is what the Buzzfeed video has proved. You also need to add in exercise and healthy eating to see the full results. It should be consumed with plenty of water, healthy and balanced meals, and proper workouts.
It would be interesting to see if there was some way to researching the outcomes generated by detox teas and whether people are actually losing weight by solely consuming it or is it something that they are hoping would be achieved because there are so many endorsements, and while videos may be a nice experiments there isn't truly solidified results.
2) You might lose water weight, not actual fat. Detox teas that has caffeine and other natural substances can trigger the loss of water weight, so shedding fluid can actually make you feel and look lighter but you have actually lost any body fat. Detox teas can also trigger a laxative effect that allows you to eliminate waste which can make your stomach flatter. If this quick-fix effect gives you the motivation to start eating healthier then go for it, but know of course that you need to do other things too.
This video gives people a better understanding about what the different between water weight and actually fat is. Advising people not to get discouraged when their weight increases
3) Some detox tea ingredients can have unwanted side effects. Detox tea concoctions generally include additional herbs that have been designed to curb your appetite, increase metabolism and boost weight loss. One herb used normally is senna, which has a natural laxative effect. Other side effects may include ab pain and discomfort, cramps, nausea, etc. If detox teas are used excessively it can lead to potassium depletion and electrolyte depletion. Weight loss teas also contain guarana which is a plant that they often add to energy drinks and the side effects are similar to that of caffeine. The important thing to know is that you need to be careful with every ingredient.
4) It may interfere with sleep. Because it has caffeine, most detox teas may mess with your sleep cycle. Many people now-a-days have some sort sleep problems, and anything with caffeine is a major factor of that. Too little sleep has been proven to trigger excessive eating and weight gain and even weaker metabolism.
5) Research on detox teas do not really exist. While there has been research done on the ingredients that go into detox teas, there isn't any research on the actual tea itself. There is no way of knowing the actual formula they use to create the tea. Which means that people are actually going in blind when they drink it, how they work, how they should be used, etc.
This video gives people a better understanding as to why people should not simply rely on detox to be successful. It proves that detox may actually be harmful to people in the long run.
As mentioned before, if you are planning to use detox teas in any way, make sure that you talk to professionals before you truly dive into this product.
This video is a youtuber giving people a better understanding of detox teas. Most are a positive spin, but there are some negative so that people know both sides
At the end of the day, it is a personal choice whether people want to use detox teas even with the information provided or the lack of information. As mentioned before, while there is research on the ingredients that go into detox teas, there is not only of research about all ingredients combined together other than what consumers are saying. With things that involve your body or your health, it is so important that you know exactly what goes into it. Because everyone's body is different and it is possible that everyone might have different side effects. Word of advice is Please be careful with what you put in your body, pay attention to the ingredients, and how it affects your body. Do the research, much like everything else it is important to understand everything.