Italian dishes are equally enjoyed by Malaysian and we present to you a fairly easy vegetarian lasagne recipe that you can have over a family dinner or bring to a potluck gathering. It is full of vegetables and rich flavours of cottage cheese and ‘pull-factor’ of mozzarella. It will be sure to amaze everyone on how delicious vegetarian food can be.
This recipe serves 4 (easily multiply to serve more)
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ cup grated carrots
1 medium red capsicum, chopped
2 medium zucchini, halved, sliced
1 medium eggplant, chopped
200g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
100g baby spinach
1 tablespoons plain flour
1 cup skimmed milk
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup reduced-fat grated mozzarella cheese
125g dried lasagne pasta sheets
6 large tomatoes, diced
¼ cup roughly chopped basil
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350℃.
- To prepare tomato sauce, put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until desired texture (smooth or slightly chunky) of spreadable consistency. Set aside ¼ cup of sauce.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, capsicum, zucchini, eggplant and mushrooms. Stir while cooking for 10 minutes or until eggplant is just tender. Stir in tomato sauce. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour. Stir while cooking with a wooden spoon, for a minute or so. Gradually add milk, stirring to prevent lumps forming. You may use a whisk while stirring gently. Continue to stir until sauce boils and thickens. Add spinach and cook until wilted then remove pan from heat. Mix in cottage cheese. Set aside.
- Spread ¼ cup of sauce in the bottom of a baking dish (7cm deep, 25cm base). Layer lasagne sheets on top to fit. Spread the cottage cheese mixture on top then the vegetables-tomato mixture. Sprinkled grated cheese on top.
- Top with more lasagne sheets and repeat the layers with remaining ingredients.
- Lower heat to 300℃ and bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until pasta tender and the top is golden brown.
It looks amazing doesn't it? Make one today and it'll have you and your family or friends speaking like and Italian *insert hand gesture*